Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Breastfeeding and going home

Due to strong encouragement from my sister and sister in laws, I have determined to breastfeed my baby. Prior to labour, I have purchased a dual electric pump from US and got my friend's help to bring it back. It was far cheaper buying from US but warranty will be an issue. So far I find the pump efficient but abit noisy. :)

The first latch on was right after delivery. I was blessed to have colostrum during that moment itself, as the nurse helped to press my areola, showing me the yellow liquid thingy. I felt great seeing my BB latching on and her satisfied look after nursing ~45 minutes for every feeding. However, it was quite painful on my delicate nipples. Not sure whether it was due to wrong latching on position, I have cracked nipple on the second day. :( My doctor advised me to stop direct breastfeeding for 2days to let them heal, in the meanwhile, expressing the colostrum by hands. Oh my, it took me ages to express this out.

My bb weighted 3kg with body length of 52cm when she arrived into this world. :) We managed to discharge on the second day and go home, no jaundice but the doctor said we need to come back for check up on the 4th day. Once reached home, we felt chaotic as our baby stuffs were not unorganized and we felt very hard to locate the things needed. Haha, lessons learned.









BB in her new cot :D

Since my milk has not arrived and there was not much colostrum, we had to feed her with something else temporary. I do not plan to feed formula, hence I suggested to my husband to get glucose from the pharmacy since she was fed glucose in hospital before. To our horror, pharmacy do not sell, the glucose was formulated by the hospital. :( Due to pressure from elders,we gave in and fed her formula. We spoonfed her but she didn't seem to like it. Her whole body shivered and my husband smelled the milk himself, it was very unpleasant. We felt very bad and heartache for the BB. :(

Things became better on the third day, we were more organized and my breast started to engorge with milk! I managed to express 1oz from the first pump and the milk was in orangey colour! Demand was high and I was not able to store any excess milk until one week later. Milk started to increase slowly days by days. :) Very happy as my baby is exclusively fed with breast milk now.

No comments:

Post a Comment